Thursday, May 10, 2012

Book review: JACKIE AFTER O by Tina Cassidy

JACKIE AFTER O: One Remarkable Year When Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Defied Expectations & Rediscovered Her Dreams

by Tina Cassidy

I have to admit that before I read this book, I didn't know a whole lot about Jackie. I knew who she was, of course, and could remember a few salacious "JACKIE O!" headlines in the tabloids from the time this book is set (1975), but to me she was just a famous person in big sunglasses whose life I couldn't really imagine. The few items I'd read from her White House years made me think she was a typical 50's housewife, content to raise the kids and go shopping while her husband saved the free world from Soviet bombs (and carried on affairs with multiple women). I didn't think she was all that bright. I never really gave a thought to what her life must have been like, except to be sad for her that her husband was killed in such a public and awful manner.

What I didn't know was that she was very well educated, well-read, and interested in history to the extent that she helped save Lafayette Square in Washington D.C. while in the White House. She restored that house into a museum of American craftsmanship and art after decades of neglect. There was a lot more to her than just a fashion plate.

Cassidy gives plenty of background, and meticulously cites sources for events and dialogue. She brings together a narrative that gives a clear picture of what was going on in Jackie's life the year her second husband, Aristotle Onassis, died, and how she put her life back together in New York, going into the publishing industry. You learn how and why Jackie chose such a seemingly odd occupation for herself, and how she flourished there. In the midst of the second wave of feminism, she broke out of the mold of women who acted dumber than they were to get a man, and chose a career not for the money, but for fulfillment.

This book fills in the gap between the double widow and the professional editor and conservationist that made up the public image of one of the most famous women of the 20th century, touching on her relationships with her kids, her sister, and her step family and famous in-laws. If you are fascinated with Jackie, as so many people still are, this book is for you. I certainly have a new appreciation for and admiration of her.

No comments: